Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yes, We're Farmin'...

For me, cooking is a close second to arting and crafting as a way to pass my otherwise free time. As such, the pursuit of fresh ingredients for my cooking endeavors is also high on my list of pastimes that I enjoy immensely and what better way to source fresh ingredients of the produce variety than on a farm? To that end, I spent last Sunday afternoon with three people I adore picking fruits and veggies at Underwood Family Farms in Moorpark, CA.

We had such a good time loading up our baskets with raspberries, strawberries and blackberries, plucking fresh squash from the vine, picking eggplants and myriad variety bell peppers from their leafy progenitors. We even liberated a few heads o' lettuce, roots and all, from their rich beds of soil. For me though, the best part of the entire day was whiling away the hours with my peeps talking, laughing, listening to Eric (LittleLinoleum's boyfriend) make up songs about farming with my daughter as well as listening to the teens scream whenever they encountered a bug. Hel-lo? Nature.

It was a great day to be sure! Now onto the produce pr0n...

Raspberries

Blackberries

Strawberries

Our Berry Bounty

Our Strawberry Bounty

Squash

Red Leaf Lettuce

Sunflower!

And here's my crew...

My Crew
L-R: LenaLinoleum, Eric & Steve

I'll end this very berry post with the lyrics to Eric's farming song...

‎”Yes were farmin'. Were havin' such a good time, yes were farmin'. Pickin' fruits of every kind, yes were farmin'. Lena’s not havin' such a good time…but were farmin'.”

3 comments:

Deneen said...

I am highly amused about the kids screaming about the bugs and I don't know why it tickles me so much. Very LA, I guess. I have a great eggplant recipe if you need one (vegan)that's super simple, should you have leftover eggplant you don't know what to do with.

FinnyKnits said...

Um, I love the song. I'll be singing it in my head all day.

I LOVE to hit the farms. Beautiful photos make me want to go pickin'.

Novalja Apartments Island pag said...

the colorful strawberry is well focused....