Wednesday, July 21, 2010

One Half of Granny

I have a stack of FOs that has travelled with me from residence to another, waiting to be immortalized in living digital color. It just so happens that I pulled one of these purty wooly wonders from the stack this morning, as we seem to be in a state of perpetual cold in West Los Angeles. So, not missing a long overdue opportunity to photograph said item, I present to you my newest Half Granny Shawl...


Half Granny Shawl


Crocheted from some of my Koigu sock yarn stash (and let me tell you, I've got a store's worth of this stuff), this light wool number is great for throwing over one's shoulders on cool summer evenings or for donning in offices that double as meat lockers, as is the case with my lovely cube farm abode.


Half Granny Shawl


In shaping this triangular shawl, I began using double crochet (dc) until I reached the bottom of my shoulder blades, then moved onto trebles (tr) for the length of the shawl. I stole this idea from my personal crochet idol, Ellen Bloom, who has both granny square technology and drape down to a science. Thanks Ellen!


Half Granny Shawl


I edged the entire shawl with a basic picot stitch as I'm not a one who fringes (well, not with regard to crochet anyway).


Half Granny Shawl


Yay! I feel so accomplished having decreased my pile o' FOs by one! Plenty more knitting, crocheting and weaving to come...

21 comments:

Beth McDermott Oliver said...

This is really pretty and I like the size of it. It really is perfect to keep off the chill and it also looks great with black.

crazymotheringchick said...

That is very pretty. I like it a lot.

Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Regina! The shawl came out beautifully!!! Love the size. Was this two skeins-worth of Noro?

LadyLinoleum said...

Thanks gals! Yep,2 skeins! I am partial to a generous shawl.

Liz's Knitting said...

It is lovely!!! It looks so delicate and warm. After I finish my granny stripes blanket I might have to make myself one of these!!!

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous! I love the way you wear it draped around your shoulders classy yet sassy.

Ms. Diva said...

Beautiful!!!

Deneen said...

Love it and the colors!

Natalie said...

Lots of stuff happening here at the Chez Lino! It's good to see you back in action. Lovin' your hair. And speaking of... lovin the blue do too!

shelly said...

Lovely! I want one! :D

fatmagülün suçu ne said...

thank you

MissingRib2 said...

This lovely and I like the size, too.

thread bear said...

Really nice piece of work. It's a rare granny square that doesn't look fit for a Granny, but that is really lovely.

Great colour choice, too!

Jenny said...

Really gorgeous!! That's a lot of sock yarn you must have!

Caren Andayani said...

that is really pretty. i love it.

Zara said...

That is one very fashionable granny shawl. (:

The Bookworm said...

I love it!
http://yarnchick.blogspot.com/

lorrwill said...

The next time someone says granny squares are hokey or old fashioned, I am sending them to this post. This shawl ROCKS!

Natalia Kononova said...

Like it. Nice color choice!

Shirley said...

brilliant! You have made an "old fashioned" 1960's stitch look modern and classy

Croatie Opatija vacance said...

the mixture of color is superb!!!