Thursday, November 03, 2005

Let Them Eat Quiche!

Ahhh, Autumn...Dark, cool evenings, flannel pj's, gas log blazing brilliantly in the fireplace and the irresistible urge to conjure cuisine! Yes folks, 'tis the season to be cook-king, fa-la-la-la-la la la la la (ooops, too early for that tune). Anyway, you get my drift...

Break out your pots, your pans, your humbled masses of spices. Ready your cookie tins, your casseroles, your Pyrex and your utensils. Pay homage to your taste buds and your tummy, bringing forth sacrificial foodie delights that are sure to appease all five of your senses (okay, maybe not your auditory sense, whateva). Revel in the rich explosion of a caloric motherload of Fall dishes: hearty soups; crusty breads; creamy sauces; a plethora of pies and pastries; not to mention mouth-watering meats and poultry. Yes, Fall cooking is a right of seasonal passage over here at Chez Linoleum and I've yet to forego the tradition in favor of the drive-thru route heavily traversed by those not infected by the need for cuisine.

Rich dishes are to Fall (and Winter) as barbecue is to Summer, in my humble opinion. My favorite decadent delights employ pounds of butter, gallons of whole cream, entire sacks of flour, fields of pure cane sugar, syrups, brandies, wines and of course plenty of hot, bubbly, melting cheese...No, these dishes are not for the rice cake addict nor for those who believe carbohydrates are a version of Satan molded from a piece of Wonderbread. Now, I'm not advocating anyone stuffing themselves like a Thanksgiving Turkeyzilla during the darkened days of Fall and Winter, but I am encouraging everyone to put down their celery sticks, close the lid on your fat-free, low-carb, heart-smart Ranch dressing and delight in a few of the foodie goodies this season has to offer.

If you feel you cannot trust yourself in the presence of a steaming bowl of mashed potatoes whipped up with a vat of real cream and a palate of butter, seek out supervision! Think of this supervisory individual as an extention of your spotter at the gym, but instead of making sure you're not flattened while benchpressing the equivalent of a steer ready for market, this individual will be your very own utensil extraction unit, making sure your splurge doesn't tip the eating meter to gorge. Simple.

Okay, cookware, check. Spotter, check. Recipe and ingredients...hmmm, let's try a favorite Linoleum Fall dish (actually, it's a year round dish, but seeing as I only cook in the Fall and Winter, well, you get the point)...Quiche! Nothing like a gaggle of eggs, luscious whole cream, sweet butter and heaping masses of cheese in a rich, flaky pastry crust to warm the soul. Not to mention the wealth of filling possibilities! Pretty much anything tastes great when enmeshed in eggs, cream, cheese and pie dough. So go ahead, add a little broccoli, a touch of onion, mounds of mushrooms, speckles of spinach and lots of leeks. Think about it. The more veggies you add, the less guilt you'll feel when eating your mouth-watering cheesy delight. Hey, you can even go hog wild and add crumbles of bacon! Okay, that's tipping the fat meter forward to wideload, but what the hell, you only live once. Anyhow, the sky's the limit when it comes to quiche collateral components. And always remember more is definitely, well, more.

Also, when cooking up a storm, get your family and friends involved. Nothing beats spending a moment with your loved ones working toward a common goal (at my house it's seemingly cheesy pie), laughing, talking, sharing, loving, being...End result: lots of wonderful memories and very happy tummies.

My gorgeous daughter cooking up a storm:



Are you not inspired? Well, get cooking peeps!

My favorite basic quiche recipe is from Epicurious:

One recipe for basic pastry
6 large eggs
2/3 cup heavy cream or creme fraiche
1 cup milk (preferably whole)
8 ounces gruyere, emmenthal, or other Swiss-type cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg - optional

Roll out the pastry to fit a 10-1/2 inch glass or metal pie plate (not removable bottom). Crimp the edges, poke the bottom with a fork or the tip of a sharp knife, and place the pastry in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Line the pastry with aluminum foil and pastry weights and bake in the bottom third of the oven until the pastry is golden at the edges, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the aluminum foil and pastry weights. Return the pastry to the oven to bake until the bottom is golden, an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, and the milk until thoroughly blended. Season with the salt and pepper, then add the cheese and stir until it is blended, Turn the mixture into the pre-baked pastry, and spread out the cheese evenly over the bottom of the pastry. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg if you've used a Swiss-type cheese, and bake in the center of the oven until the filling is golden and puffed, and is completely baked through, about 30 minutes. To test for doneness, shake the quiche - if it is solid without a pool of uncooked filling in the center, it is done. You may also stick a sharp knife blade into the center of the filling and if it comes out clean, the quiche is baked through.

Remove the quiche from the oven and serve immediately.

Serves 6 to 8.

Voila!



Got a rich dish you think your good buddy LadyLinoleum should try? Well, send it to me! Always looking for gastrointestinal delights...

16 comments:

lisa solomon said...

mmmmmm. now i'm hungry!

so yes! let's swap... i've got a small embroidery piece that i think is calling your name... a rocket launcher on a floral sheet?? what do you say?

Unknown said...

mmmmmmmmmmm written like a true foodie.

Believe it or not in all my 35 years last summer was the first time I actually ever had Quiche.

Jessica said...

Sounds yummy!

I just wish I had as much counter space to cook on as you do!

Crafty Andy said...

Your daughter is sooooo cute! What a way to go. When the fall comes in even though I am a low carb guy, I indulge a little. My favorite treat is Pumkin Cheesecake with as little sugar as possible, I supplement with Stevia instead. I am hungry now!!!

Anonymous said...

I could unearth my recipe for Chocolate Suicide Custard, or watch carefully at Thanksgiving when my sister prepares her puffed mashed potatoes (I know that eggs, butter, cream, cream cheese, and sour cream are involved...oh yeah, and potatoes). Ooo I know! Holiday Compost Compote Cake - a Jewish apple cake recipe altered to utilize some of the leftovers from T-Day and X-mas (the cranberries, nuts, orange peel, etc). It has fruit in it and is therefore very good for you, especially with vanilla ice cream.

Marvie said...

I am also a Fall and Winter cook lol. I spent some time this week going through my masses of recipes, pulling out all sorts of yummy stuff to cook over the next few months =)

I baked bread a couple of days ago (I used the frozen dough, too lazy to go homemade all the way!) and we had a delicious meal of chicken with cranberry sauce, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread and pumkin pie (made from a halloween pumpkin that never got carved) Oh, and stuffing lol.

I so love Fall and Winter =)

Kimberly said...

I just love cooking and baking in the fall! By Christmas I am usually burned out and ready to give my pans and pots away!

Can you find the already made quiche crusts in the US? I swear by them now! I've gotten good at throwing whatever I have handy into the mix - ham, 'shrooms, spinach, carrots (odd, but it works if blended....sometimes)

I'll have to dig out my recipes and see what I got!

MomThatsNuts said...

oh, I want some apple pie, I dont know how to make pastry, so I am gonna try your recipe...do you think your daughter would come help me? My daughter isnt very much liking me these days, and the boys are WORTHLESS....for baking that is.....mmmm

Mom

Suburban Hooker said...

Your daughter is lovely and how wonderful that she enjoys being in the kitchen...always my preferred place in any home....always warm and cozy. You want a recipe that will push you over the top?? Try this one...

$10,000 Cake Recipe preheat oven to 325
cake
1/2 c. butter or margerine
1/4 c whipping cream
1 c. frimly packed brown sugar
3/4 c coarsley chopped pecans
1 pkg. 18 1/2 oz. Devils Food Cake Mix w/ pudding in the mix
1 1/4 c water
1/3 c oil
3 eggs

topping
1 3/4 c whipping cream
1/4 c confectioners sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
12 whole pecans
chocolate curls

In a small saucepan heat butter, 1/4 c whipping cream, and brown sugar over low heat, only until the butter melts, NO LONGER!!!! Pour into 2 lightly greased 8 or 9 inch pans, and sprinkle evenly with pecans.

In large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, and oil. Beat on low for 1 minute, and 2 min on high. Spoon gently over mixture in pans. Bake for 35-40 min, or until it springs up when touched. Cool for 5 min ONLY!! No longer, or they'll stick. Take them out and place on cooling racks or plates (pecan sides up), and cool completely.

topping
Beat whipping cream until it peaks, blend in sugar and vanilla, stack cakes together pecan sides up, and spread the topping on just like frosting. Place the whole pecans in a circle, and the chocolate curls between them. Cool for 10-15 minutes so topping can cool


Eat, and Enjoy

MaggieBlue said...

Hi there. Just wanted to let you know that I love your crocheted eyeball! Do you think you would share the pattern? Another yarn addict here just beginning to find my way around blogger. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your daughter is stunning! What a lovely girl!

Regina it was wonderful seeing you last night, I miss your smiling face!

sueeeus said...

Gorgeous daughter!

If you happen to hear a knock at the door, it's just me, inviting myself to dinner. YUM!

Nancy said...

YUMMMMMMMM


I live in Texas... If you need a nice place to visit, I'll be glad to give you full run of my little kitchen!!!

LOL

I suddenly have a craving for mashed taters.

kath red said...

your daughter is gorgeous, that quiche looks fab, and i love this post, food and wintry nights and fire - oh how i love winter. right now though we are entering summer and i am trying to lose the winter cream and butter cassarole tummy tyres.

Ellen Bloom said...

Your Lady of Linoleum!
Your daughter is really beautiful! Those shining eyes and perfect smile! AND, she's talented too? You are lucky.

OK, so when's dinner? I'll bring the salad to go with the quiche.

Anonymous said...

Winter is when I can start making soups again, lots of good winter root vegetables veloutes like squash or potato, seasoned, simmered and pureed through a blender. Or hearty bean or chicken soups, stewing in the crock-pot in the kitchen while I go to work, run errands or get the rest of the house cleaned.

Soups themselves are hot and easy to prepare and are perfect for a chilly night curled up by the fireplace. They're very nutricious and relatively low calorie and low carb.

No, where I get into trouble is the hot loaves of bread that I make to go with the soups, oven-warm, crusty and slathered with butter...